St Augustine's College Archive
Name of creator(s):
Administrative/Biographical history: The College was established to train clergymen to work in the colonies of the British Empire. In 1952 the College re-opened as the Central College of the Anglican Communion to train clergy from all over the world. In 1967 such training of students was taken over by King's College, London. In 1992 the buildings were sold to the King's School, Canterbury.For further information see:
R. J. E. Boggis, 'A History of St Augustine's Monastery, Canterbury' (Canterbury, 1901). R. J. E. Boggis, 'A History of St Augustine's College, Canterbury' (Canterbury, 1907). Henry Bailey, 'Twenty Five Years of St Augustine's College, Letter to Late Students' (Canterbury, 1873). 'St Augustine's College, Occasional Papers' 1858-1935.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Trustees of the Corporate Body in February 1988.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and content/abstract:
The collection mainly consists of College administrative records including student records. Also included is information on the history of St Augustine's Abbey and papers relating to the following individuals: Henry Martyn (1781-1812), Missionary in India. Daniel Corrie (1777-1837), Bishop of Madras. Noel Hall, Bishop of Chota Nagpur 1936-1957. Bishop A. M. Knight, College Warden 1909-1928. G. M. Maclear, College Warden 1880-1902. E. A. Kallihura (1832c-1856) student. W. Kemp student 1938.
System of arrangement: *
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: Some of the more recent records are closed.
Conditions governing reproduction: Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the Archives, and where appropriate, from the copyright owner. The Archives will assist where possible with identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material.
Finding aids: Detailed hard copy catalogue available in the searchroom.
Related material: Some records relating to the College including student files post 1953 are held at King's College, London. The books from the College Library (c25,000 volumes) will shortly be transferred from Pusey College, Oxford to Canterbury Cathedral Library. Letters from Martyn to Corrie are in the Church Missionary Society Archive in Birmingham University Library. Letters of G. M. Maclear are in Lambeth Palace Library.
Archivist's note: This collection-level description is based upon the description compiled for the Revelation database in May 2002.
Date(s) of descriptions: Edited for Mundus in September 2004.