Northern Baptist College Printed Collection
Name of creator(s):
Administrative/Biographical history: Northern Baptist College was formed in 1963 when the Baptist colleges at Rawdon and Manchester amalgamated. Rawdon College in West Yorkshire had opened in purpose built premises in 1859, replacing a college housed in an adapted weaving shed and warehouse in Little Horton, Bradford. The Horton Academy, as it was first called, was founded by Yorkshire and Lancashire Baptists in 1804. The primary aim of its first Principal, William Steadman (Principal: 1804-1836) was to identify and train preachers committed to the task of evangelism. Both Horton and Rawdon were run under the auspices of the Northern Baptist Education Society. After the move to Rawdon, the raising of academic standards became increasingly important. Students were prepared for degrees at London University and in 1904 Rawdon became affiliated to the new Leeds University.
Manchester College was founded in 1866 on strict communion principles. Initially located in Bury, Lancashire, it moved to new premises in Manchester in 1873. Later, it was a founding member of the Theological Faculty of Manchester University.
The First World War led to the closure of the Midland Baptist College (originally the Academy of the New Connexion of General Baptists, created in 1798). Most of the assets of Midland College were given to Rawdon.
After several earlier attempts, the amalgamation of Rawdon and Manchester was finally achieved after a proposal by Rawdon in 1961. New building were erected on the Manchester site and the united College became Northern Baptist College. In the 1970s new schemes of training for ministry were inaugurated in partnership with colleges of other denominations in the city. After the creation of the Northern Federation for Training in Ministry, the main college building was renamed Luther King House. It is now owned and managed ecumenically under the auspices of the Partnership of Theological Education, Manchester, Northern Baptist College playing a full role within the Partnership. Northern Baptist College placed its library on permanent loan to the John Rylands University Library in 1980.
Immediate source of acquisition: The collection came on permanent loan from the Northern Baptist College in 1980.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and content/abstract: The collection contains items printed between 1558 and 1977, the most important for primary source material being issued in the 18th and 19th centuries. 657 volumes represent 47 periodical titles, together with 1,878 pamphlets, 765 monographs, 143 biographies, 462 sermons, 372 hymn-books and related works, and 406 local histories. The vast majority of the items were written by Baptist authors. The collection is of particular significance for the history of the Baptist Church in Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries, with an impressive number of English provincial and Scottish imprints, but also includes some coverage of North America and of Baptist overseas missions.
System of arrangement:
ACCESS AND USE
Language: English and some Hindi.
Conditions governing access:
Conditions governing reproduction: Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the Library, and where appropriate, from the copyright owner. The Library will assist where possible with identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material.
Finding aids: Cataloguing in process.
Related material: John Rylands University Library also holds the archive of the Northern Baptist College, though it relates predominantly to Baptist organizations within the North West of England rather than containing any missionary-related material.
Publication note: Clive D. Field, 'Sources for the Study of Protestant Nonconformity in the John Rylands University Library of Manchester', Bulletin of the John Rylands University Library of Manchester, 71, no. 2 (1989), 106-8.
Archivist's note: Based on a description in the Revelation database.
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2001; revised November 2002.