St Andrews University Missionary Society Records
Name of creator(s): St Andrews University Missionary Association St Andrews University Missionary Society
Administrative/Biographical history: The Missionary Society was a student-run society, affiliated to the Students Association of St Andrews University. The Missionary Society was instituted in 1824 by students from the Faculty of Divinity, to promote and support the work of foreign missions. The Missionary Association (as it had been renamed in 1896) closed in 1963.
Immediate source of acquisition: University of St Andrews.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and content/abstract: The collection includes: minutes 1824-1963, cash books 1827-1951, presbytery books 1927-1929, catalogue of books in the library 1824-1907, borrowing register 1840-1857, Rules of the Society (undated), Reports 1882-1940, Annual appeal 1889-1890, letters from other university missionary societies.
System of arrangement: The collection is a subfonds of the Records of Student Societies (UYUY911) of St Andrews University.
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: Access is dependent upon the conditions of individual documents.
Conditions governing reproduction: Applications for permission to quote should be sent to St Andrews University Archivist.
Related material: St Andrews University Library, Special Collections Department also holds the St Andrews University Missionary Society Library.
Note: Compiled with the aid of a description from the Gateway to Archives of Scottish Higher Education.
Date(s) of descriptions: August 2002.