Name of creator(s):
Mary Slessor was born on 2nd December 1848 in Gilcomston, a suburb of Aberdeen, the second of seven children, only four of whom survived childhood. Her father, Robert Slessor, originally from Buchan, was a shoemaker to trade. Her mother, from Oldmeldrum, was a devout woman who had a keen interest in missionary work in the Calabar region of Nigeria. Alcoholism forced Robert Slessor to give up shoemaking and take work as a mill labourer. Mary Slessor followed suit by becoming employed as a jute worker at Baxter Brothers' Mill, where she was able to take advantage of a school provided by the mill owners; this arduous routine engendered the work ethic which was to dominate her life.
As a teenager Slessor came under the influence of a local mission, where she subsequently taught other children. Influenced by her mother's interest in Calabar, and inspired by accounts of missionary endeavours such as those of David Livingstone, Slessor herself applied to become a teacher for the Foreign Mission Board of the United Presyterian Church of Scotland. After training in Edinburgh Slessor set sail for Africa, arriving in Calabar at the end of 1876.
Slessor initially worked in the missions at Old Towna and Creek Town, and her potential as a teacher was appreciated by her mentors. However, she was not felt suitable for the team approach employed at Calabar, so was assigned in 1888 to work alone, further inland amongst the Okoyong. She took an innovative approach to mission by integrating culturally with the indigenous people, occupying traditional habitations, wearing simple clothes and becoming fluent in the local language Efik. Slessor was successful in raising the status of local women, and worked to end the ritual slaughter of twins, incidentally acquiring a large adopted family. Her dedication and integration with the local people led to her appointment, in 1892, to the position of Vice-Consul in Okoyong, presiding over the native court, and in 1905 she was made Vice-President of Ikot Obong native court. Her letters to the administrator Charles Partridge chronicle this period of colonial expansion. Simultaneously, she constantly urged the Foreign Mission Board in Edinburgh to finance extensions of her work in the interior. As new missionaries took over responsibility for the posts vacated by Slessor, she was able to move ever further into the heartland.
This pioneering work was both dangerous and arduous; general hardship and repeated illnesses such as arthritis and fever debilited her but didn't prevent her from remaining in Calabar, where she died on 13 January 1915, having previously been awarded the Order of St John of Jerusalem in 1913. She was accorded a state funeral and memorial.
Charles Stanley Partridge (1872-1955) hailed from Suffolk, and was by profession a colonial administrator. From c 1905 he was the District Commissioner of Ikot Okpene, in the territory of the Ibibio people, where Mary Slessor pursued her religious and civil calling. He maintained a warm correspondence with Slessor from 1905 until her death, and subsequently donated letters and books to Dundee in Slessor's memory.
Immediate source of acquisition: Charles Stanley Partridge donated his correspondence with Slessor, and his small collection of books to Dundee in August 1950, in memory of Slessor.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and content/abstract: The collection includes:
System of arrangement:
ACCESS AND USE
Language: English and a little Efik.
Conditions governing access:
Conditions governing reproduction: Dundee City Council has waived copyright in respect of the online transcripts of the Slessor-Partridge letters, and associated text. Their reproduction in this format is intended to further the world-wide study and appreciation of Miss Slessor's life and work. Researchers are, however, respectfully requested to acknowledge their provenance in the following terms:
Dundee City Council, McManus Galleries hold correspondence, diaries and miscellaneous papers of Slessor (1876-1914). Typescript transcripts of correspondence and papers in this collection are also held by the School of Oriental and African Studies (MS 380621).
Note: Compiled using:
Date(s) of descriptions: August 2002.