Carey Hall Missionary Training College for Women
Name of creator(s): Carey Hall Missionary Training College for Women
Administrative/Biographical history: Carey Hall Missionary Training College for Women was founded in 1912 under the auspices of the Baptist Zenana Mission (subsequently incorporated into the Baptist Missionary Society), the Women's Missionary Association of the Presbyterian Church of England and the London Missionary Society for the training of their women missionary candidates. It was an autonomous college but was one of the Selly Oak Colleges which were closely linked through a Central Council and which shared some central services and amenities. Carey Hall closed in 1966, and its premises were taken over by the newly established St Andrew's Hall Missionary College.
Custodial history: The records of Carey Hall passed to the custody of St Andrew's Hall Missionary College in 1966. On the closure of this college in 2000, arrangements were made for the deposit of the records of both these colleges and of the superceded St Andrew's College with the Orchard Learning Resources Centre. The records were all deposited in 2001 with the agreement of the Baptist Church Missionary Society, the United Reformed Church and the Council for World Mission.
Immediate source of acquisition: The records were all deposited in 2001 with the agreement of the Baptist Church Missionary Society, the United Reformed Church and the Council for World Mission.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and content/abstract: Records of Carey Hall United Missionary Training College for Women, Selly Oak, Birmingham comprising minutes, student registers and records, financial records, administrative correspondence, annual reports, magazines and other publications, newscuttings and photographs.
System of arrangement: Not yet arranged and catalogued.
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: Some records are closed. For further information, please consult the University Archivist.
Conditions governing reproduction: Permission to make any published use of any material from the collection must be sought in advance in writing from the University Archivist, Special Collections. Identification of copyright holders of unpublished material is often difficult. Special Collections will assist where possible with identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material.
Finding aids: Not yet catalogued.
Related material: The Orchard Learning Resources Centre also holds the records of other Selly Oak missionary training colleges: St Andrew's College Oak (1946-1966) a united missionary training college for men, (GB 0151 DA58); and St Andrew's Hall Missionary College (1966-2000), an ecumenical establishment, sponsored by the Baptist Church Missionary Society, the United Reformed Church and the Council for World Mission (GB 0151 DA56). Further details of these two collections can be found via the University of Birmingham Information Services Online Archive Catalogue.
Archivist's note: Compiled by University of Birmingham Information Services, with reference to Carey Hall publications.
Revised by Caroline Brick on behalf of the Mundus Project, November 2002.
Date(s) of descriptions: Compiled June 2002 and edited October 2002 and November 2002.