Name of creator(s):
Administrative/Biographical history: Rev. John Tucker (d 1873) was educated at Christ College Oxford where he was awarded a BA in 1813 and became a Fellow in 1817. He was ordained a deacon in 1818 and priest in 1819 and became minister of Southborough, Kent. In 1833 he went to South India as Secretary of the Madras Corresponding Committee 1833-1847. In 1847, on his return to England, he was appointed Secretary at CMS Headquarters, a post he held until 1852. Between 1852 and 1873 he was vicar of West Hendred, Berkshire. He died in 1873. His sister, Sarah Tucker, wrote a number of early missionary books and the Sarah Tucker Institution in Palamcotta was founded in her memory.
Custodial history: The original provenance of this collection is unknown; it was transferred on permanent loan to the Special Collections Department by the CMS in the 1980s
Immediate source of acquisition:
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and content/abstract: This collection comprises the papers of Rev John Tucker as CMS Secretary of the Madras Corresponding Committee between 1833 and 1847 and appear to be his own copies of official papers and correspondence, his notes and working papers and copies of printed material. A small quantity of material post dates his return from India
System of arrangement: This collection forms part of the Church Missionary Society Unofficial Papers. It is arranged into one series: Official Papers (which is in turn arranged into 16 sub-series: Cottayam College and mission; Syrian Church; Government; Authority of the Bishop; Correspondence with bishops; Mission matters; Accounts; Papers of Rev W. T. Humphrey; Letters; Correspondence; Miscellaneous; Miscellaneous printed papers mainly relating to education in India; Correspondence and papers relating to the proposed Protestant College in Madras; Correspondence and papers relating to educational policy in
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: Open Access to all registered readers
Conditions governing reproduction:
Finding aids: A catalogue of this collection to file and item level is available in electronic format on the University of Birmingham Information Services Online Archive Catalogue. A paper copy of this catalogue is also available for consultation in the Special Collections Department reading room.
Related material: The Special Collections Department also holds the Church Missionary Society Archive, the official archive of the society, and these papers are closely related to the records of the CMS South India Mission CMS/C I2
Date(s) of descriptions: Created 23/08/2001, modified 16/09/2002