Jerusalem and the East Mission
Name of creator(s): Jerusalem and the East Mission
Administrative/Biographical history: The Diocese of Jerusalem was founded in 1841 under the joint auspices of Queen Victoria and King Frederick William IV of Prussia. The bishops were to be nominated alternately by the English and Prussian sovereigns, to be consecrated by Anglican bishops and to have spiritual jurisdiction over Anglican and Lutheran Christians in Palestine. In 1881, however, a failure to obtain episcopal orders for the Lutherans prepared the way for the withdrawal of Prussia, and the bishopric fell into abeyance for almost six years. It was finally reconstituted on a purely Anglican basis and on 25 March 1887 the Venerable Archdeacon Blyth was consecrated Bishop in Jerusalem with jurisdiction over Syria, Egypt, Asia Minor, Cyprus, the region around the Red Sea, and, later, the Sudan and Iran. The Jerusalem Bishopric Fund, later the Jerusalem and East Mission Fund was set up by Bishop Blyth for the maintenance and development of the work of the diocese. In 1920 Egypt and the Sudan were separated from Jerusalem to form a new diocese with Llewellyn Gwynne as bishop. In 1939 the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Assyrian Mission came fully under the control of J&EM. The diocese of Jerusalem became the seat of a province in July 1957 and at the same time a new diocese of Jordan, Lebanon and Syria was created. At the time of writing the province is composed of the following dioceses: Jerusalem; Cyprus and the Gulf; Egypt;Iran.
Custodial history: In the custody of J&EM either in England or in regional offices.
Immediate source of acquisition: Received on permanent loan from the Jerusalem and the Middle East Church Association in November/December 1975 and in July 1978.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and content/abstract: Papers, 1841-1976 relating to the Diocese of Jerusalem and St. George’s Cathedral, missionary activities, chaplaincies, health and education provision in Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Iran, the Gulf, Egypt, Sudan, Cyprus and N. Africa. The collection also contains correspondence relating to the political situation in Mandatory Palestine. Presscutting volumes. Photographic collection.
System of arrangement: Geographical areas; central organization; minute books.
ACCESS AND USE
Language: English; a very small amount of Arabic.
Conditions governing access: With the permision of the Secretary to the Trustees, The Jerusalem and the Middle East Church Association, apart from Minutes of Meetings of Directors’ of the J&EM Trust Ltd. for which the Directors’ consent is required, and Bishops’ and Archbishops’ files for which the Gen. Sec.’s consent is required.
Conditions governing reproduction: With the permision of the Secretary to the Trustees, The Jerusalem and the Middle East Church Association, apart from Minutes of Meetings of Directors’ of the J&EM Trust Ltd. for which the Directors’ consent is required, and Bishops’ and Archbishops’ files for which the Gen. Sec.’s consent is required.
Finding aids: In Guide; handlist.
Related material: Bickersteth Papers GB165-0027; Blyth Papers GB165-0031; Emery Papers GB165-0099; Forster Papers GB165-0109; Gordon Papers GB165-0121; Morgan Papers GB165-0208; Norman Papers GB165-0219. Jerusalem & the East Mission Papers at Lambeth Palace Library.
Copies: Microfiche published by Inter Documentation Co., 1985.
Date(s) of descriptions: 2.2.1999.