Papers of the Christian Faith Society
Name of creator(s):
Christian Faith Society
The Christian Faith Society originated in 1691 from a bequest of Robert Boyle, a director of the East India Company, for "the advancement of the Christian religion amongst infidels". The Society was renamed in 1794 as the Society for the Conversion and Religious Education of the Negro Slaves in the British West-India Islands, and again in 1836 as the Society for Advancing the Christian Faith in the British West-India Islands, and elsewhere in the dioceses of Jamaica, and the Barbados and the Leeward Islands, and in the Mauritius. Particular undertakings of the Society included the awarding of grants to the William and Mary College in Virginia, for the education of young Native Americans, and missionary work amongst slaves in the Caribbean, Mauritius and other British dependencies. Until the American War of Independence the College had received the rents of an estate at Brafferton, Yorkshire, under the will of Robert Boyle.
Custodial history: The papers were deposited on permanent loan to Lambeth Palace Library in 1973.
Immediate source of acquisition: Christian Faith Society
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and content/abstract:
The collection comprises charters and related legal documents (1691-1835), minutes (1794-1956), correspondence and papers (1642-1849) and financial accounts and subscriptions (1793-1972).
System of arrangement: The main series are: A: charters etc B: proceedings in Chancery concerning the grant of the first charter, 1788-94 C: proceedings in Chancery concerning the grant of the second charter, 1834-5 D: minutes, 1794-1956 E: Treasurer's accounts and subscriptions, 1793-1972 F: correspondence and papers, 1642-1929 G: maps and miscellaneous papers, 1724-1849
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: See http://www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/ A full reader's ticket is required.
Conditions governing reproduction:
A typescript catalogue of the records of the Christian Faith Society at Lambeth Palace Library.
Related material: At Lambeth Palace Library, the Fulham and SPG papers are closely related to this fonds.
The Borthwick Institute of Historical Research, University of York, holds 17 boxes of archival material relating to the Christian Faith Society. Most of the material relates to the Brafferton estate in Yorkshire, held as an endowment by the Christian Faith Society, but the collection also includes papers of more general interest concerning the work of the Society.
Micropublication of the Christian Faith Society is available from World Microfilms Publications and is held by a number of other repositories.
Micropublication of the Christian Faith Society is available from World Microfilms Publications.
Date(s) of descriptions: 12th March 2002